[Standards-JIG] Jingle vs. Zoep

Pedro Melo melo at co.sapo.pt
Tue Feb 14 03:08:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Feb 13, 2006, at 11:25 PM, dirk.griffioen at voipster.com wrote:
>> Why we prefer the server-side gateway? Simple (bad pun...): SIP
>> is  complex, and not all SIP proxys we intereact with are exactly
>> the  same. Some of them send some events, others don't. The
>> problem with  that is the complexity the client has to have to
>> deal with all those  SIP variations. Believe me, we have some of
>> those here. So when ever  we need to tweak some code to deal with
>> another SIP diference, we  have to deploy hundreds of thousand
>> copies of our client. And then  some of our client, for whatever
>> reason don't update all at the same  time (right now, our online
>> users stats shows 10 different SAPO  messenger's versions....).
>>
> This is a viable argument, since we experienced some of this
> too ... However, isn't this where 'autoupdate' was invented for?

Of course, and we use it. But when I said that we had 10 different
versions of our client, this is with auto-update. People don't update
for some reason or another.

>> Our hope with libjingle is the ICE stuff, and probably the media-
>> control stuff. We are not going to use the XMPP parts most likely.
>
> What do you do for signalling then? Or state? Or is this the 'media-
> control' stuff? So if took a dim view (allow me :) you will trade
> something you have and works for an unkown of which you will not
> use most ... ?

Signaling is done using Jingle and inside our XMPP client. But I
think I misunderstood your question...

Best regards,
--
HIId: Pedro Melo