[Standards-JIG] Jingle: DTMF

Joe Beda jbeda at google.com
Tue Feb 14 20:41:49 UTC 2006

I'm not a fan of this proposal but I'm okay with this as long as it isn't
required.  The result would be two ways to get DTMF to a client: XMPP and
embedded in RTP.  I'd prefer that we only have one way.

I would be strongly against *requiring* DTMF to be handled in the XMPP
because:
* When gatewaying to other protocols, this would require the media to be
proxied/relayed in order to put the DTMF onto the signalling channel. This
could raise the bandwidth cost of doing gatewaying dramatically.
* Keep in mind that the latencies on the XMPP connection could be much
higher than the latency on the RTP/P2P channel.  In situations where the
timing of the DTMF is critical this could cause problems.

Joe