[Standards-JIG] RE: Does Jingle need DTMF (was Jingle: DTMF)

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Wed Feb 15 08:35:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

I guess my question is do we need DTMF in Jingle?

I am under the impression DTMF was created in the first place to allow
commands to be exchanged in bad in the POTS world. And these commands had to
be dialed using a phone keypad. The use of DTMF in the analog phone world,
or even its circuit oriented digital version makes perfect sense. But do we
need DTMF support in Jingle?

1/ In a P2P scenario, if DTMF is used against another device, this device
must support DTMF. If this device has an RTP media stream established with a
Jingle enabled client, DTMF is sent in the media stream. Jingle is not
involved.

2/ In a GW scenario, when the gateway is a signaling gateway, then it
supports the Jingle signaling, and we do not need DTMF on the jingle side,
but a structured way to pass the commands. If the gateway then uses DTMF to
transfer the commands to the remote party, this is up to the gateway to
provide the DTMF generation. But the gateway may also use other mechanisms
such as SIP or CSTA to convey the same commands.

3/ In a GW scenario, when the gateway is a media gateway, then it supports
RTP to be Jingle compliant. If device has an RTP media stream established
with the gateway, DTMF is sent in the media stream. Jingle is not involved.

Am I missing anything here? That we include in Jingle some way to pass
commands to another party (PBX, IVR, etc...) makes perfect sense, but does
it has to be DTMF? Can't we just use a more structured approach?

Jean-Louis