[Standards-JIG] RE: Does Jingle need DTMF (was Jingle: DTMF)

Simon Guindon simon.guindon at tomahawk.ca
Wed Feb 15 14:59:38 UTC 2006

Good morning Jean-Louis,

Let's think of Jingle outside of client to client.  A servers "jabber
clients" will not only be speaking to other jabber clients but also
IVR's on the PBX and also regular phones in the POTS realm.

Let's say for example you have a Jingle client which calls a gateway
that interfaces to POTS and you hit a voice menu system. That voice menu
system only knows DTMF.

Our discussions are only on the Jingle side of things, once the gateway
receives the INFO or however decided apon data, it will then have to
send out a regular DTMF that existing phone systems can handle etc. If
you call best buy and the menu comes up "press 1 for sales in the
television department, press 2 for sales in the computer department" we
must send those tones out. To do so we must signal the gateway we want
to press 1 or 2 etc.

Now on that note it's the gateway's responsibility to convert the Jingle
signal to whatever DTMF format that gateway is gatewaying to.

So yes in my opinion I think DTMF is required if Jingle is to interface
properly to existing legacy phone systems.

Thanks and take care,
Simon

Simon Guindon
Tomahawk Technologies Inc.