[Standards-JIG] Jingle: DTMF

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 17:34:32 UTC 2006

On 2/14/06, Joe Beda <jbeda at google.com> wrote:

> I'm not a fan of this proposal but I'm okay with this as long as it isn't
> required.  The result would be two ways to get DTMF to a client: XMPP and
> embedded in RTP.  I'd prefer that we only have one way.

  If you wish the 'one way' to encode the DTMF tones inside of the RTP data,
then you've just killed 3/4's of the clients who'd like to support jingle
'easily' using existing 3rd part RTP libraries.

> I would be strongly against *requiring* DTMF to be handled in the XMPP
> because:
> * When gatewaying to other protocols, this would require the media to be
> proxied/relayed in order to put the DTMF onto the signalling channel. This
> could raise the bandwidth cost of doing gatewaying dramatically.

  This isn't really about DTMF.  This is about *ANY* sort of suplimental
data being transported.  In our example, we're talking about DTMF.

  Perhaps I want a game where I punch my buddy in the chat channel on the
arm with the new 'AutoPunch 2000 SE'.  I want to be able to provide
additional non content related signal, without requiring it to be encoded as
an audio 'beep' inside of the RTP stream itself.

  Let's not forget that DTMF *WAS CREATED* to get around a total LACK of any
sort of supplimental signaling over phone lines.  We now have this.  Why not
use it?

  Thomas

* Keep in mind that the latencies on the XMPP connection could be much