[Standards-JIG] Jingle: DTMF

Pedro Melo melo at co.sapo.pt
Wed Feb 15 17:58:30 UTC 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:34 PM, Thomas Charron wrote:
>   Let's not forget that DTMF *WAS CREATED* to get around a total
> LACK of any sort of supplimental signaling over phone lines.  We
> now have this.  Why not use it?

Because old style PSTN will not support it ever? And for those who is
vital to interop with them, this is not an option?

For PSTN integration I really don't see any other option except RTP-
based one. At least in our environment, a telco.

About other protocols: I think that it's great to have standards for
signaling other protocols. I just don't see the need to be inside the
jingle spec.

If my Jingle buddy, via a gateway, has a JID X, I can disco JID X,
find out support for "Electric Chair Protocol", and use the
appropriate JEP to signal my pain to him. Why do I need to put this
inside Jingle?

Same goes for DTMF even: I disco my jingle buddy, the gateway
responds with "DTMF-over-XMPP" protocol, and you follow that JEP,
probably with a <message> of some sort.

Really, XMPP already does this. I'm probably missing something, but
why do we want to put this inside Jingle?

Best regards,
--
HIId: Pedro Melo
SMTP: melo at co.sapo.pt