[Standards-JIG] Jingle: DTMF

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Wed Feb 15 18:48:24 UTC 2006

Joe, this is exactly the kind of issues I was trying to express. You just
did it better ;)

Doing DTMF in the signaling path will in turn implies the gateway to be also
in the media path if it converts the signaling to DTMF tones. This will not
lead to scalable solutions, as you said.

There is another way to interact with media device. Many IVRs, almost all
PBXs and a large number of PSTN gateways offer a CSTA interface, or better a
CSTA-XML over SIP. If we want to pass commands in the signaling path, we
must consider a solution that would not require the media going through the
gateway.

When the call is established with an IVR over RTP, we are better doing it
with RFC2833 (why re-invent the wheel).
In other cases, where CSTA information is available over SIP, we would be
better off using it. In this scenario, a CSTA enabled endpoint would be
providing the information on the signaling path without affecting the media
path.

That said, it may not cover all use cases. I'm just saying it would be worth
investigating.

Jean-Louis.