[Standards-JIG] Jingle: DTMF

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 19:33:31 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Matthew O'Gorman <ogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> joe, Comming from a voip world i can tell you that very few if any
> providers support that form of dtmf.  there are basically three types,
> inband, playing the dtmf in the audio stream like you would with an analog
> line, info, which goes over the sip signalling, or rfc2833 , which is a dtmf
> represented in rtp space as data.  Currently rfc2833 is king, as to do
> inband the call has to be in g711 ulaw, and very few phones support info.  I
> think it is silly to have multiple ways to do the same thing. And I have
> seen it cause incredible problems in othre protocols.  In the end the
> community has to decide should it be easier for the gateways or the end
> users, it seems to me that jabber has always focused on the end users.  In
> the end either way is fine.  however it has been explained to me that there
> were or are plans for implementing jingle sip or jingle h323 or jingle iax,
> wouldnt it be best to implement rfc2833 in jingle sip and have a gateway
> convert when needed?

  I'd propose this.  It MUST support INFO (as a side note, doesn't SIP have
this as a MUST as well) and MAY support rfc2833.

  Embedded into the audio stream really isn't an option with RTP, becouse
encoding degredation can yield litteraly unrecogonizable tones.

  I say MAY becouse there may be situtations in the future where Jingle is
implemented using something else other then RTP.

  Thomas