[Standards-JIG] Jingle: DTMF

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 19:40:51 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Pedro Melo <melo at co.sapo.pt> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:34 PM, Thomas Charron wrote:
> >   Let's not forget that DTMF *WAS CREATED* to get around a total
> > LACK of any sort of supplimental signaling over phone lines.  We
> > now have this.  Why not use it?
> Because old style PSTN will not support it ever? And for those who is
> vital to interop with them, this is not an option?

  But you're in a gateway environment.  You will never talk Jabber over
PSTN.  ;-)

  (I swear to god, if ANYONE builds a method for transporting a XMPP stream
over the wire using robbed bit, etc, just becouse I said that..  Well,
whoever does is a sick, sick person)

> For PSTN integration I really don't see any other option except RTP-
> based one. At least in our environment, a telco.

  Aye, which is why *I'D* consider STP based signalling a must.  But in a
situtation where it's a Jingle client <-> Jingle client over the wire, I'd
say THOSE clients must support it over XMPP directly.

  Hence, I say add MAY for supporting it over RTP.  Clients who don't,
simply can't use the gateways.  Return a not-supported when it tries, and a
'get a smarter client, dumbass' message.  (I wouldn't recomend that specific
text)

> About other protocols: I think that it's great to have standards for
> signaling other protocols. I just don't see the need to be inside the
> jingle spec.

  Some sort of signalling needs to be present.  Adding the capablity for the
equiv of INFO messages in SIP seems the easiest and most generic method.

> If my Jingle buddy, via a gateway, has a JID X, I can disco JID X,
> find out support for "Electric Chair Protocol", and use the
> appropriate JEP to signal my pain to him. Why do I need to put this
> inside Jingle?

  Becouse everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, needs to be able to zap their
friends..  ;-)

> Same goes for DTMF even: I disco my jingle buddy, the gateway
> responds with "DTMF-over-XMPP" protocol, and you follow that JEP,
> probably with a <message> of some sort.
> Really, XMPP already does this. I'm probably missing something, but
> why do we want to put this inside Jingle?

  To solidify a documented method, so a billion different implementations
don't end up evolving.

  Thomas