[Standards-JIG] Jingle: DTMF - Zoep

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 18:37:17 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, dirk.griffioen at voipster.com <dgriffioen at voipster.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> At danger of going over past the whole Jingle-DTMF discussion, I would
> like to share how Zoep does this.
> First I have a remark of Max (one of my collegues):
>
> Hello,
> Complication is in complexity of choosing optimal methods for DTMF
> transfer. Currently we are using "inband" approach for DTMF (which is
> fine wile working over PCMU or PCMA). There are also another
> approaches exists: one transfer signals within signaling protocol
> (like SIP), another transferees DTMF in RTP stream while using special
> "DTMF codec". In jabber list there is a discussion about DTMF
> signaling over Jabber (in context of Jingle) and people thinking of
> most convenient and interoperabilitable way for working with DTMF. But
> IMHO there is no ideal solution each has own advantages while for
> interoperability purposes it is batter to support them all.
>
>   This is why I'd like to see the 'INFO' messages that the Jingle spec
refers to as being flushed out, allow a payload of many namespaces.  One of
the basic, for DTMF, would be a simple DTMF-like payload that you use as an
example.  Additionally, it could very well contain a xdata form to fill out
and be returned.

  Also, for things such as rfc2833, it's simply a feature that a client
supports.  Figure it out during feature negotiation, and perhaps say
specifically that it's what you intend to use when you set up the call.