[Standards-JIG] User Activity. Was: A jep for the Games

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat Feb 18 14:59:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:45:13PM +1100, Trejkaz wrote:

> > >I think we have something like that in JEP-0108 already, it just needs
> > >extension.
> > >
> > >(side-track... if you're a professional gamer, does gaming go under
> > > relaxing or working?  likewise for coding for fun...)
> >
> > Continuing on the side track: Wouldn't something like <relaxing/> be
> > done better as a text node or attribute? Otherwise I can think of a
> > number of activities that probably aren't mentioned in 0108. At the
> > least, <other/>, could include something more descriptive.
>
> I agree.  This is at least in part like <show>/<status>, only for activities.
There is a <text/> node node in JEP-0108. See also the first example of
section 2.1. It can only contain text (no markup) and is similar to the
<status/> field in presence.

> The purpose of the activity and the summary of the activity don't necessarily
> relate directly to each other.  I mean, you might take a shower in order to
> relax, rather than to clean.  And what if you're having a lunch appointment?
> Is that having an appointment, or eating/having lunch?
>
> Rigid hierarchies are annoying for such things.

There is no rigid hierarchy in JEP-0108. We defined two lists: primary
and secondary activities. You may use any secondary activity as child of
any primary activity. Section 3 only list a suggested way of using them
and is in no way exhaustive.

The idea behind the two levels is that a client could show activity
information only by the primary activity. For example by using icons for
just those 11 possibilities next to a roster item. A tooltip could show
more detail, either textual or graphical. It also allows a client to
only implement only some basic notion of activity.

> I don't agree on it being a text node though... it's better for localisation
> to at least enumerate the common activities.  I'm sure this is exactly the
> reason it was done the way it was.

Correct.

If the existing set of activities is too limiting for some application,
you can use your own namespaced elements at the primary, secondary or
even tertiary level.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm