[Standards-JIG] PEP: specifying roster groups

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat Feb 18 15:31:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 02:39:14PM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> If a pubsub client requests an access model of 'roster' then it needs to
> specify the roster groups that are allowed to subscribe and retrieve
> items. In x:data node configuration that would be specified using the
> "pubsub#roster_groups_allowed" option, but for PEP we don't want to
> force the clients to support x:data configuration forms (or at least I
> think we don't, perhaps that is a questionable assumption). Therefore I
> changed the pubsub schema to allow the following:
>
> <iq type='set' id='create-roster-1'>
>   <pubsub xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub'>
>     <create node='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'/>
>     <configure access='roster'>
>       <group>Friends</group>
>     </configure>
>   </pubsub>
> </iq>
>
> Objections?

Well, I'm seeing that we are bending backwards to avoid using JEP-0004
forms here (and elsewhere). As I expect any client that will implement
PEP to also have support for forms and I'm not sure if adding more and
more elements and attributes to avoid forms is the best approach.

A lot of the issues raised on this list about PEP may be instantly
solved by just using forms. What /would/ be useful is to have a simple
set of used node and/or subscription configuration options that are to
be used in the PEP case.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm