[Standards-JIG] pubsub: affiliations and subscriptions

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat Feb 18 15:49:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:22:30PM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> [..]
>
> I think we'd agree that the same entity can have only one affiliation
> (e.g., we can't have more than one <entity/> element with a JID of
> juliet at capulet.com and different values for the 'affiliation' attribute).
>
> If we "reduce" all the full JIDs to bare JIDs in the foregoing example,
> we'd have one "affiliate" but we'd be unable to differentiate between
> different affiliations for different resources.
>
> So my conclusion is that it's best to be a bit more verbose and
> represent one "affiliate" for each combination of affiliation and
> subscription. This is more verbose but, I think, the safest approach.

I believe up to now, we assumed that affilations are always based on the
bare JID. If you want to have node chaining, the pubsub service should
just subscribe to the proxied node with its own bare JID and store the
correct routing itself (possibly in the local node's configuration).

Nevertheless, I would love to move away from this coupled affilation and
subscription mess. That is, instead of <entities/>, have separate
elements for dealing with affiliations and subscriptions. This makes the
protocol easier to implement and causes a lot less headache.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm