[Standards-JIG] pubsub: transient+notification

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Sun Feb 19 01:22:58 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> JEP-0060 lists as one of the possible node types "transient +
> notification" -- i.e., the node sends out no payloads but instead
> sends out only notification with no ItemIDs. The use case for
> this is quite unclear to me ... that's the equivalent of telling
> the subscriber "hey, something happened, but I can't tell you what
> it is..."
	A "transient+notification" event is semantically identical to the
XML-PRC "Pings" that are typically transmitted by blog feeds (RSS or Atom)
when they update. What a ping tells you is "The blog feed has been updated.
If you want to know what changed, you'll have to figure it out yourself." As
minimal as this may sound, we've been able to build a pretty complex network
of services on it. (Note: We anticipate that the FeedMesh, which is the
primary "backend" aggregator of blog feed pings will be updated to support
richer expressiveness in the future...)
	In addition to the door bell example that Ralphm provided in an
earlier message, you should also consider "Fire Alarm" as a good example.
There are quite a number of these binary state alerts that can be
interesting.

	bob wyman