[Standards-JIG] MUC traffic issues

David Sutton jabber at dsutton.legend.uk.com
Sun Feb 19 20:34:37 UTC 2006

Hello Alexander,

  Before you go too far with this, I would STRONGLY advise moving this
  into its own JEP. JEP-0045 was designed as a next generation
  'groupchat' protocol, using lessons learned from groupchat and another
  conference protocol that was being trialed at the time. For what it
  is, a simple system for multiple people to communicate together, it is
  great and does precisely that. What everyone seems to be wanting is
  the next generation, more of a MMO MUC implementation, and that has
  its own requirements that lose the simplicity of our current JEP.

  If you are wanting many users on many servers, then one thing you may
  want to look at is something like a broadcast component that lives on
  each server - the conference server would send out the message to each
  broadcaster that had registered with it, and it would then send to all
  the people on that server who were in the room. This alone would
  reduce traffic to the single conference node.

Regards,

  David

--
David Sutton - Systems Administrator I