[Standards-JIG] PEP and MUC

Steve Smith ssmith at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Mon Feb 20 00:49:05 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'd like to pull MUC back into the discussion of SPPS/PEP ...

StPeter has already proposed[1] a simple access-model for MUC rooms
based on membership, which seems fine to me.  However one thing is
bothering me: how is information published to the MUC node?  Given
room at conference.example.com, we would ideally like the owner and
(possibly) moderators of that room to be able to publish to that room's
PEP nodes.  However that requires multiple publishers (as the owner JID
is not the same as the room JID), which is explicitly dropped in PEP.

One possibility that occurs to me is to have the MUC room create Pubsub
nodes with the appropriate permissions, and the corresponding PEP nodes
hand back a 'redirect' stanza (similar to a HTTP 301).  (This is
necessary as the Pubsub address-space is essentially random.)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve

[1] http://tinyurl.com/nmf22