[Standards-JIG] Re: pubsub: affiliations and subscriptions

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Tue Feb 21 21:27:55 UTC 2006

Hey guys,

I think that there is a previous problem that we need to figure out before
discussing how affiliations and subscriptions should be exposed. IMHO, the
main issue here is to figure out how should the 1-n relationship between
affiliations and subscriptions be built. In other words, how does the pubsub
service know that a new subscription request belongs to an existing
affiliate and not to a new or other existing affiliate.

Let me give you an example to clarify what I'm trying to say here. Following
with the example provided by StPeter I will change the sequence in which the
subscriptions were made.

service (with SubID = sub2)
service (with SubID = sub3)
(with SubID = sub0)

When the first subscription request is received, the pubsub service creates
a new affiliation of type none and a new subscription. Ralph said that he
would use the bare JID (e.g. juliet at capulet.com) as the entity that now has
an affiliation with the node and the subscription should keep using the
provided JID (e.g. juliet at capulet.com/balcony). But as StPeter said using
the bare JID might be correct for the IM world (i.e. human being users) but
not fully correct when dealing with other type of entities.

When the second subscription request is received, the pubsub service has to
find out who is the entity that is trying to subscribe to the node. As we
said before, Ralph said that the bare JID can be used so we now know that
the new subscription belongs to the same entity that made the previous
subscription (e.g. juliet at capulet.com). This is fine for the IM world but
not for other cases.

For the third subscription request the same steps we used for the second
subscriptions are used. Therefore, if we were using the bare JID as the way
to identify entities then the service will end up with only one affiliation
for juliet at capulet.com and 3 subscriptions to different JIDs.

As you may have realized the problem is that we cannot trust that using the
bare JID of the JID that is going to get the event notifications is the
right way to identify the real entity that is behind the three
subscriptions. IMHO, the options are 1) inferring who the affiliate is or 2)
let the subscriber provide who the real entity/affiliate is thus making the
relationship explicit. I think that using an explicit mode does not have any
margin of error.

So my recommendation is to add a new attribute to the <subscribe> element
that specifies the JID of the entity that owns the subscription. If the
attribute is not specified then the JID used for the subscription is assumed
to be the JID that uniquely identifies the entity. This idea should also
work well for previous versions.

Examples of how this may work.

Example 1. Entity subscribes to a node (entity JID = subscription JID)
<iq type='set'
    from='francisco at denmark.lit/barracks'
    to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
    id='sub1'>
    <subscribe
        node='blogs/princely_musings'
        jid='francisco at denmark.lit'/>
  </pubsub>
</iq>

Example 2. Entity subscribes to a node (entity JID that owns the
subscription is made explicit)
<iq type='set'
    from='francisco at denmark.lit/barracks'
    to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
    id='sub1'>
    <subscribe
        node='blogs/princely_musings'
        owner='francisco at denmark.lit'
        jid='francisco at denmark.lit/PDA'/>
  </pubsub>
</iq>

A pubsub service that is not very concerned about security might allow the
owner to have a different bare JID to the subscription bare JID. This
scenario might be useful for users that have different accounts in many
servers. But the JEP may recommend that pubsub services should validate that
the bare JID of the owner should match the bare JID of the subscription JID.

Regarding the way the pubsub service should expose affiliations and
subscriptions I would prefer to split them and expose them as different
things. This would make things simpler but may break existing
implementations. But a consequence of  copying the affiliation for each
subscription is that the node owner might potentially try to set a different
affiliation in each subscription for the same entity. The service would need
to validate this case and IMO the API is also confusing and error prone. And
the way to fix that is to make the service more complex.

Regards,

  -- Gato

news:089e01c634f0$7030f590$be43fa0a at BOBSLAPTOP...