[Standards-JIG] Defining IAX transport over jingle

Simon Guindon simon.guindon at tomahawk.ca
Wed Feb 22 16:30:12 UTC 2006

I'm not an expert at IAX but basically IAX can authenticate and log into
Asterisk, similar in a way how jabber clients authenticate and log into
a XMPP server.

So when you log into the Asterisk server via IAX (I believe you can do
so with SIP even) with a username/password, you can have voicemail,
extensions, phone numbers assigned to your username.

The Asterisk server has a dialplan, which says when you dial XX number,
it goes to X device or user. So for example my account simon, might have
an extension 250. Anyone who is logged into the Asterisk server who
dials 250 will ring my IAX softphone. Think like your office phone
system.

I would really like some Asterisk/IAX experts feedback on this.
Currently I have a Jabber client which logs into both XMPP and Asterisk
via IAX. So I do not need to do p2p with who I am calling if they are
available via Asterisk because Asterisk can handle all the routing and
Jingle doesn't need really any negotiation besides telling me which # to
call.

Can anyone chime in on this please?

Thanks and take care,
Simon