[Standards-JIG] Defining IAX transport over jingle

Antonio Cano damas antonio at igestec.com
Wed Feb 22 18:09:42 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Simon Guindon wrote:
>
> >I would also like to be included in the IAX discussions. I think IAX
> >should be pretty easy to implement but at the same time a bit confusing.
>
> >I've thought about it quite a lot in the last while going through the
> >DTMF thread and I'm a bit confused as to how we are going to separate
> >IAX calling peers, and IAX calling Asterisk.
>
> Does it matter? All Jingle says is "here is how to negotiate a session
> with another party" -- the parties could be two clients, a client and a
> server, two servers, etc.

I thought this doesn't matter. A peer is client and server at the same
time, we don't mind if is a phone, jabber client or asterisk pbx.

I'll try to explain, let me use Asterisk terms,  for calling using IAX
we have the next URI: 'user:password at ip:port/extension'. Now we are
going the two cases:
    1. Calling from pc 2 pc.  In that case we don't need the user and
password because is the other user who accept or reject the call, and in
that case don't mind wich extension to use... for example we could use
the 's' that is default extension of asterisk. The URI is like this:
ip:port/extension.
    2. Calling from pc 2 pbx. Here we have to set up the user, password
and the extension (or POST) we want to reach. In that case we have to
setup the account settings into our client preferences and the extension
has to be entered by the user.

But anyway, I've got one big question... I think that Jingle (in that
case) has only to worry about disco and negotiation. Because media and
signaling (state machine) is keeped into the Protocol Stack (iaxclient
in softphone or chan_iax into Asterisk).

I've got some ideas and notes take up, I'll try to write them into one
document along this afternoon.

Take care,