[Standards-JIG] Defining IAX transport over jingle

Antonio Cano damas antonio at igestec.com
Wed Feb 22 20:15:09 UTC 2006

Mikael Magnusson wrote:

> (...)
>
>> I thought this doesn't matter. A peer is client and server at the same
>> time, we don't mind if is a phone, jabber client or asterisk pbx.
>>
>> I'll try to explain, let me use Asterisk terms,  for calling using IAX
>> we have the next URI: 'user:password at ip:port/extension'. Now we are
>> going the two cases:
>
> The libiax2 library supports dial strings using the following format:

> It's only the peer that is needed to establish an IAX call, and the
> other values except port number are sent in Information Elements
> (IE:s) during call setup and authentication. The default (UDP) port is
> 4569.
>
>   Informational Elements
>   ----------------------
>   0x01 CALLED NUMBER
>   0x05 CALLED CONTEXT
>   0x06 USERNAME
>   0x07 (plaintext) PASSWORD
>   0x10 MD5 result
>   0x11 RSA result
>
> For more information:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-guy-iax-00.txt

Thanks, my draft is from voip-info and is a little outdated :)

The default port is 4569, but the library has to return the port it is
using when is initialized. What happen if we have more than one IAX
software running into the same box?

>>     1. Calling from pc 2 pc.  In that case we don't need the user and
>> password because is the other user who accept or reject the call, and in
>> that case don't mind wich extension to use... for example we could use
>> the 's' that is default extension of asterisk. The URI is like this:
>> ip:port/extension.
>
> Why send an extension in a CALLED NUMBER IE at all? Is it really
> necessary?

If you want to call one extension into a PBX, yes it needed. If you one
to call one peer directly doesn't have sense but is needed to. One
little exercice:
    1. Download iaxcomm
(http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/index.html) or other IAX phone
with multi-line support.
    2. Try to call yourself, 127.0.0.1:4569 this doesn't work :( but if
you try 127.0.0.1:4569/(s, or other thing) you'll see the incoming call
:). I don't know if this a bug of the iaxclient library, that is a
question to take a quick look into the library.

Take care,