[Standards-JIG] Defining IAX transport over jingle

Simon Guindon simon.guindon at tomahawk.ca
Wed Feb 22 20:33:06 UTC 2006

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post or not but I think
sending IAX call format (extension, maybe we need to include
server/context as well?) is a very important thing. I don't believe it's
a requirement though.

As said previously there are 2 manners which IAX Jabber aware clients
will want to call.

1. P2P
2. PBX

In #1 we don't need to pass extension, context etc. But if we are a
Telco running Asterisk maybe we want all the calls to go through the PBX
and call records go into the CDR etc. In the sense Jabber is now just an
easy way to call without having to dial. (IE just clicking on a roster
item and clicking "call").

Now that aside I think theres more integration that needs to happen for
XMPP/VoIP to really take off. It may be outside of the Jingle spec
though and more in the discovery or Vcard spec.

I've been trying to think of ways Jingle/Disco or can discover many
things automatically so the user doesn't have to enter phone numbers.

For example:

When I click "Call Mikael at xmpp.com" how do we discover Mikael's
extension. How do we discover his voicemail box to leave him a msg. How
do we discover our own voicemail box so we can go there in 1 click? How
do we discover tech support number so we can call via 1 button click.

I guess the idea is the number system is there, but Jabber can have a
much more seamless integration with the PBX so the user is just clicks
away from everything he needs.

This is all stuff later though, first we need to figure out how do we
tie IAX into Jingle but allow IAX to do what IAX can do if that makes
sense ;)

Thanks and take care,
Simon

Simon Guindon