[Standards-JIG] Defining IAX transport over jingle

Antonio Cano damas antonio at igestec.com
Wed Feb 22 22:03:19 UTC 2006

Simon Guindon wrote:

>I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post or not but I think
>sending IAX call format (extension, maybe we need to include
>server/context as well?) is a very important thing. I don't believe it's
>a requirement though.
>
>As said previously there are 2 manners which IAX Jabber aware clients
>will want to call.
>
>1. P2P
>2. PBX
>
>In #1 we don't need to pass extension, context etc. But if we are a
>Telco running Asterisk maybe we want all the calls to go through the PBX
>and call records go into the CDR etc. In the sense Jabber is now just an
>easy way to call without having to dial. (IE just clicking on a roster
>item and clicking "call").

hmmmmm three points goes to Simon :)

I'm not sure about this, maybe this has to be implemented by a
chan_jingle_iax into the Asterisk. Maybe Asterisk (PBX) box could have
his roster mapped with extensions, and connected to the Jabber server
like a bot  :-/

Ohhhh I can see the scenario, sorry is really late and a long day. I
promise to think slowly tomorrow morning with a cleaner mind ;)

>Now that aside I think theres more integration that needs to happen for
>XMPP/VoIP to really take off. It may be outside of the Jingle spec
>though and more in the discovery or Vcard spec.
>
>I've been trying to think of ways Jingle/Disco or can discover many
>things automatically so the user doesn't have to enter phone numbers.
>

>For example:
>
>When I click "Call Mikael at xmpp.com" how do we discover Mikael's
>extension. How do we discover his voicemail box to leave him a msg. How
>do we discover our own voicemail box so we can go there in 1 click? How
>do we discover tech support number so we can call via 1 button click.
>
>I guess the idea is the number system is there, but Jabber can have a
>much more seamless integration with the PBX so the user is just clicks
>away from everything he needs.
>
>This is all stuff later though, first we need to figure out how do we
>tie IAX into Jingle but allow IAX to do what IAX can do if that makes
>sense ;)

Yes you're right, maybe all this stuff is related to the entities
implementation and not to the specification :-/

Thinking a little (only a little), not seems to be necesary to include
the extension we want to call into the transport because this goes into
the dial string of the IAX library.

Take care,