[Standards-JIG] Defining IAX transport over jingle

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Feb 22 22:34:09 UTC 2006

I've read over all of this, and I still don't understand why we'd want
(or think we need) multiple "ways" to establish an IAX call via XMPP?

Can't it be as simple as this (not in XML):

Romeo->Juliet: Hey, I'd like to talk to you, do you support Jingle-IAX?
Juliet->Romeo: Sure! My IAX address is montague.com/juliet

It would be juliet's responsibility to decide whether juliet wants to
advertise the address of her client, or the address of a PBX that would
forward to her client, or lie entirely and give Romeo the address of
Joe's pizza shop.

Juliet's client might have a UI like this:

=========
VoIP [IAX] Setup
[X] accept peer-to-peer calls
[ ] accept calls via server _____________ extension ________
---
Register for calls via server ________ Username ______ Password _______

So here, the first radio group decides whether she wants her client to
accept calls directly, or direct calls to her through a PBX.

The registration line would make her chat client also be a more
traditional VoIP extension from a server.

-SteveK