[Standards-JIG] Re: MUC/pubsub multicasting using JEP-0033. Was:MUC traffic issues

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Thu Feb 23 07:34:40 UTC 2006

>>Cool, that's what I was looking for.
>>So there are already three protocols (presence, MUC, PubSub) where S2S
>>bandwidth is being wasted in a more or less identical fashion.  Fix

>>fix the rest for free. :-)
>

> I agree! I still like the broadcast alias address idea I presented.
> Perhaps I could write up a proto-jep with the help of someone who knows
> PubSub. Any takers? This thread seems to have died...

Hi JD,

this would be very cool. We should not let die this thread. This is a
very important issue in the current XMPP protocol IMHO.
If we want to see huge XMPP servers then we need a intelligent
broadcasting for all "one -> many protocols" (now MUC and Pubsub) and
s2s. More bandwith, and bigger servers are *no* solution here if we can
reduce the traffic 1000% and more with a small protocol extension for
broadcasting.

Alex