[Standards-JIG] Defining IAX transport over jingle

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Thu Feb 23 14:21:55 UTC 2006

Simon wrote:

> Hey Steve,
>
> I guess my ultimate goal is that the user doesn't have to configure
> those kinds of things. When they log into jabber it will automatically
> discover all of that.
>
> I know making a call over Asterisk for IAX is
> user:pass at server.com/extension
> what's the format for P2P direct? If we can use the same field for
> both then that is fine as well. I'm just not familiar with IAX in a
> P2P manner if its just the same call format just simply its the users
> IP instead.

Actually, the format is as mikael wrote earlier:

There's no difference between making a call to a server as opposed to
directly to a client, other than that most clients aren't going to
require authentication (user, secret), and will likely ignore exten and
context.  So, it seems to be that whatever mechanism is defined in
jabber to send an IAX destination to a client should have the ability to
send all of those items, but should only require peer (hostname).

> But yeah I agree, some clients will work that way, some will I think
> in the future have more integration. Atleast that is my goal. So
> Asterisk and XMPP can be closely tied together and the clients can
> simply discover their settings.

That makes sense, but I'm not sure how that would work -- in the end, I
think the client needs to know how it can be reached, and then, if the
client knows that, it can just inform clients that want to call it.

-SteveK