[Standards-JIG] Re: MUC traffic issues

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Feb 23 16:40:16 UTC 2006

> Well, that does not work good for large chat rooms, the delivered
> messages would become ULTRA big. I still think the xmpp protocol is
> very verbose and a diet could be good for it, but that's my personal
> opinion. ( I still like the approach to slim out "iq" by "i",
> "presence" by "p" and "message" by "m"), but don't listen to me on the
> last topic.
Just use compression thats effectively what it will do, and if you are
worried about this internally within the server then do your slimming
out while those stanzas are flying around internally and only translate
them back once they are about to leave the server, and on your server
force compressed connections, and it will also make the rest of the
stanzas much smaller too, like the namespaces, which IMO are a much
bigger data hogging part of the protocol than the iq, presence and
message element names.

Richard