[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: Metacontact Storage

Etan Reisner deryni at eden.rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 24 16:52:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Yann Le Boulanger wrote:

> I take again your exemple. in account u at jabber.org you have as contact
> stpeter at jabber.org, and in account u at gmail.com, you have as contact
> stpeter at gmail.com. Now you merge account. so your roster will show:
>
> all accounts
> |-stpeter at jabber.org
> |-stpeter at gmail.com
>
> now you want to set stpeter at gmail.com as a child contact of
> stpeter at jabber.org. you'll send on jabber.org server (where parent contact
> is):
>
> <parent jid='stpeter at jabber.org'>
>        <child jid='stpeter at gmail.com' account='u at gmail.com'/>
> </parent>
>
> The way I thought things when I wrote (and implemented that under Gajim) is
> that there is one parent which has one or more child(ren). I indeed don't
> speek about ordering child, cause I think all clients can do that the way it
> want: by status, by name, by what_they_want.
>
> Yann

You seem to be saying that you don't want to specify ordering because
the client will show it in a useful order for the user, but you do want
to specify which jid is the 'parent'? That seems a bit confused to me.
Why do you want someone to pick a contact to be 'parent' why not just
let them indicate that the contacts should be groupd together, you can
even include an alias or name attribute in the metacontact if you want
to allow the person to specify what the metacontact should show up as.

Also I still think I like my idea (in my last email) better than this
current proposal, but removing the parent->child business helps make
this a lot cleaner, at least as far as I am concerned.

 	-Etan