[Standards-JIG] Re: Re: proto-JEP: Metacontact Storage

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Fri Feb 24 17:01:22 UTC 2006

> I assume the idea is that clients will merge contacts only when they
> appear in the same group (this should be documented either way).

I wouldn't assume this. It is not the case in my roster, I like to
keep my group division for my different accounts. This subgroup 'hack' has
been thought of before, and I really don't like it (many of us don't
even like the subgroup JEP in itself due to the delimiter).

The tag scheme could work, though. When you add a contact A to another
contact B, you give it the tag of the contact. If it didn't have a tag,
generate a new unique one, and assign it to both contacts. This doesn't
require a master server, and works with any combination of your accounts.
Or did i miss something ?

cheers,
Remko