[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Metacontact Storage

Pedro Melo melo at co.sapo.pt
Fri Feb 24 17:24:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

nice to see this topic raised. You beat me to it.

Our client, SAPO Messenger, does meta-contact for 2 years now.
Basically we create a meta-contact id using sha1 of the name and
group of each contact (I think we lowercase the group, but can't be
sure from memory) and them group all that have the same id.

Works well.

Your approach would be more flexible because you would not have to
give the same name and group to all the contacts that you want to
group inside a meta-contact.

The problem I see with it is the use of private-storage: If I change
a meta-contact in one instance of my account, and push it to private-
storage, there is no mechanism to notify the other instances that the
information changed.

A solution would be to use PEP, or not to use nothing at all and just
do what we do: use the roster itself.

Either way, a meta-contact jep must have a large section of best
practices regarding renaming of meta-contacts and moving meta-
contacts between groups: what should be the effect of those
operations on the contacts inside the meta-contact.

Also, when I double-click a meta-contact, what are the guidelines to
choose a contact to use for chat?

BTW, the largest meta-contact I have in my roster has 10 accounts: 4
Jabber, 1 MSN, 1 ICQ, 2 mobile phones (SMS and VOIP targets) and 2
fixed lines (SMS on 1 of them, and VOIP to both). And that's because
I don't have AIM. He also has a AIM account.

Best regards,

--
HIId: Pedro Melo
SMTP: melo at co.sapo.pt