[Standards-JIG] Re: Re: proto-JEP: Metacontact Storage

Etan Reisner deryni at eden.rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 24 18:12:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Remko Troncon wrote:

>> I assume the idea is that clients will merge contacts only when they
>> appear in the same group (this should be documented either way).
>
> I wouldn't assume this. It is not the case in my roster, I like to
> keep my group division for my different accounts. This subgroup 'hack' has
> been thought of before, and I really don't like it (many of us don't
> even like the subgroup JEP in itself due to the delimiter).

How do you create a metacontact out of contacts that are in different
groups? What group do you show them in?

Which subgroup 'hack' are you referring to here? And like I said I'm not
a fan of putting meaningful needs-parsing information into the group
name either. I'd much sooner use metacontact tags but that isn't
possible in the roster currently (and could easily lead to very large
roster entreis which would be bad).

> The tag scheme could work, though. When you add a contact A to another
> contact B, you give it the tag of the contact. If it didn't have a tag,
> generate a new unique one, and assign it to both contacts. This doesn't
> require a master server, and works with any combination of your accounts.
> Or did i miss something ?

Yes, we could just replace the 'parent' with this unique tag, but I'm
not sure how much I like the fact that this private storage space is
going to get very large rather quickly. It would seem to me that the
most useful method which requires the least extra space is what we want
to be looking for. Which is a very real benefit to the group name
mangling idea, the tags are small compared to the full size of the
private stanzas we would need to create for the same purpose.

> cheers,
> Remko

 	-Etan