[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: Metacontact Storage

Le Boulanger Yann asterix at lagaule.org
Fri Feb 24 18:37:48 UTC 2006

Etan Reisner wrote:
>     We could use a Nested Roster Groups approach to this problem
> instead. That is we define another groupname delimiter and append a
> metacontact tag to the end of the group name, so you would get something
> like billw at jabber.org in group='Friends^^Bill' and you could even use
> nested roster groups along with this to get
> group='Friends::College^^Bill'. A system like this would allow for
> per-group control of metacontacts much more easily than adding group
> names to the current proposal, at least to my mind. Also it simplifies
> what the client needs to do above and beyond getting the normal roster,
> a client only gets one extra piece of information rather than a
> potentially large list of JIDs.

One problem with this way to do things is that if you swith from a
client that support this JEP to a client that doesn't, you'll have
plenty of groups in your roster: one per metacontact group.
Of course you can answer me: you just have to stay with the client that
support metacontacts :D I wouldn't oppose this anser :p

Yann