[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Simon Guindon simon.guindon at tomahawk.ca
Tue Jan 3 17:05:25 UTC 2006

Ok thanks for the clarification. I think I am understanding much better
now.

So here are my questions then. Since a Jingle Audio client can gateway
to SIP or IAX. What is the best route to add PBX capabilities or is this
the right spot to do so.

As far as I understand Jingle Audio is RTP. So how does one do things
such as call forwarding, voicemail etc.

I don't know SIP very well but IAX can do all these things when logged
into an Asterisk box. This means the IAX client must authenticate with
Asterisk.

Does this mean a Jingle Audio -> IAX gateway needs to exist. And that
this such gateway needs to support iq:register (off the top of my head,
might be wrong) so clients can enter their IAX login information?

If so, can we send tones? IAX I believe uses tones to handle navigating
voicemail etc.

The alternative is making IAX a session type and the jabber client
itself supporting IAX thus being able to do this all itself. This has
been my route so far in my developments as I began before I was aware of
Jingle.

I have an asterisk.server.com component which supports custom IQ queries
for certain things such as extension lookups, finding out what MY
extension is, etc. I would like to discuss making these things more
standard so all clients can benefit.

I think such things will make Jabber and SIP/IAX/Asterisk/others a very
strong distributed VOIP network.

Thanks and take care,
Simon

Simon Guindon