[Standards-JIG] Chat Session Negotiation

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 17:32:09 UTC 2006

  Allo Peter, long time no see..  :-)

  I just rejoined most of the lists, and you'll probrably hear some more in
the future..  ;-)

  I just had a comment on this particular JEP that occured to me while I was
reading thru it.

  There should probrably also be a way to renegotiate an existing
conversation to use different parameters then the ones that existed at the
initiation of the chat session.  In SIP, for example, this is handled by
renegotiating capabilities by quite literally re INVITE with the new
paramaters using the same session.  This could be handled pretty much the
same way w/ JEP-0155, but there's one issue.  Clients connections are, for
the most part, considered stateless.  If I disconnect from one client, and
reconnect with another, the chat session 'state' information is unknown to
the new client.

  Perhaps a presence change off offline at any point should trigger an
automatic renegotiation of params, or at least confirmation of params?

  Thomas