[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Simon Guindon simon.guindon at tomahawk.ca
Wed Jan 4 18:35:51 UTC 2006

Ok thank you very much for that clarification.

I hope I'm going to explain this properly so bare with me.

To add PBX like capabilities we have 2 options.

1.	Create a new Jingle-IAX or Jingle-SIP spec.

Since IAX and/or SIP already support DTMF, once a call is placed, we
don't need DTMF support built in.

Disadvantage is clients need to specifically have IAX support.

2.	Add DTMF support to Jingle (or would it be Jingle Audio?)

Since there may be iax.server.com which could be a Jingle Audio gateway
to SIP, we need a way to tell the gateway we pressed a tone etc. Two
ways you mentioned last evening on IRC was, that RTP already supports
DTMF so the gateway simply has to relay these into SIP or IAX.

Or an alternative is an XML spec where you send a query to
iax.server.com saying something such as <tone>123</tone> and it does the
IAX or SIP specifics etc.

The advantages of this method is any client supporting Jingle Audio can
do PSTN calls etc. As long as there is a gateway to speak to that does
IAX or SIP etc.

I hope I was clear. I know my tech jargon can be bad at times ;)

In my head I can see it working both ways but perhaps a Jingle-IAX is an
easier route to begin with. I guess my question is what is the best
route to take. Do we want Jabber clients to specifically have IAX
capabilities in their client thus using some sort of Jingle-IAX or do we
want all Jabber clients speaking Jingle & Jingle Audio (RTP) and
gateways convert that to SIP and IAX and supporting DTMF throughout.

Can anyone chime in?

Thanks and take care,

Simon

Simon Guindon