[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Wed Jan 4 20:18:25 UTC 2006

Simon Guindon wrote:
>    2. Add DTMF support to Jingle (or would it be Jingle Audio?)
>
> Since there may be iax.server.com which could be a Jingle Audio gateway
> to SIP, we need a way to tell the gateway we pressed a tone etc. Two
> ways you mentioned last evening on IRC was, that RTP already supports
> DTMF so the gateway simply has to relay these into SIP or IAX.
 >
> Or an alternative is an XML spec where you send a query to
> iax.server.com saying something such as <tone>123</tone> and it does the
> IAX or SIP specifics etc.

Refer to my previous email on this thread in which a standard message

> In my head I can see it working both ways but perhaps a Jingle-IAX is an
> easier route to begin with. I guess my question is what is the best
> route to take. Do we want Jabber clients to specifically have IAX
> capabilities in their client thus using some sort of Jingle-IAX or do we
> want all Jabber clients speaking Jingle & Jingle Audio (RTP) and
> gateways convert that to SIP and IAX and supporting DTMF throughout.

We want the latter. The basic setup would be like any other gateway:
Client <-> server <-> gateway <-> SIP/IAX/POTS/AIM/Yahoo/etc.

The XMPP RFC has some pretty diagrams showing how gateways are connected
to the rest of the Jabber network. In my previous post, DTMF handling is
completely pushed onto the gateway. Clients may opt to display a GUI
keypad during a voice call, but that's completely optional since a
regular chat window would work too. Nothing special is needed for
clients to send DTMF signals.

- Nolan

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design