[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Thu Jan 5 02:34:43 UTC 2006

Simon Guindon wrote:
> Right. I think we need a more flexible manner than simply gateway
> handling chat msgs and converting them to DTMF though. I think perhaps
> an addition to one of the Jingle specs (whichever one it would fall
> into, be it Jingle or Jingle Audio) would be cleaner.

What could be cleaner than NOT adding new protocol? With what you had in
mind the same information was communicated but in a new element. Since
DTMF would only be used w/ entity to computer communication, I don't
think there's a need to use something other than a message body since it
wouldn't interfere with an actual chat.

> Can Jingle support multiple lines? For example in Asterisk I believe I
> can have 3 lines associated with my account and I can be in one call,
> put them on hold and pickup another call.

There's nothing in Jingle saying that you can have only one call going
on at a time. You could also have a Jingle bot that takes calls from N
people, mixes everything together, and sends it back out. Think party
line bot.

So your client could let you talk to has many people as you want. I
would imagine that the RTP socket would go silent as you switched
between people. I'd have to check to see if Jingle specifies a hold signal.

Looking at Jingle, there doesn't seem to be an explicit hold/suspend
state. Could someone mention why there isn't one? Tearing down a Jingle
session and starting a new one seems rather dirty to me, or was the plan
to transfer to some music playing service?

- Nolan

--
SemanticGap: To act as one (TM) -- http://www.semanticgap.com/
Instant awareness & messaging * Online presence design