[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Thu Jan 5 04:53:06 UTC 2006

Simon wrote:
> All good points. I'm just not sure what the answers are.
>
> What about text messaging? I would think text messages to a PSTN number
> would be better suited over chat than DTMF tones.

Are they mutually exclusive? The only case I can think of is with a cell
phone which supports calls and text messages. In which case there's no
need to send DTMF unless you're musically inclined.

I don't see how you'd be able to flag a phone number as a person or
computer. Does SIP/IAX have a way to detect if text messages are supported?

If there's no way to detect text messaging support, the gateway could
use some trickery. If the message body contains nothing but numbers,
pounds, and/or asterisks then the gateway generates the tones unless
previous sent messages contained text. Is that to dirty?

I don't know exactly what would be best, though if you support text
messages and voice you might as well join our party. :-)

- Nolan