[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Thu Jan 5 17:10:13 UTC 2006

Simon,

I suppose that by 411 service you mean 'white pages/yellow pages' directory
;)
Well, most XMPP servers provide a JEP-55 user profile search facility. Your
requirement would be more an implementation matter than a protocol matter.
If the XMPP server has access to the proper information store, finding the
phone number for a particular user is already built in.

XMPP clients are able to query a server for available service using JEP-30
discovery mechanism. Once again, rather than a JEP you need a specification
for the additional service types.

If you want to specify alternate addresses where a particular client can be
reached, then JEP-152 provides the answer. You would be able to embbed phone
number or SIP uri in an XMPP presence payload.

All this can be done outside Jingle. It would be a server implementation
matter to retrieve the requested information, not a client one. If the
server needs to interact with a PBX to retrieve this information, it will
use adequate mechanisms, and make the result available to the client through
the above mentioned mechanisms. From a client perspective, this will be
entirely transparent. Even legacy text only client could access the
information. Jingle would only be used to eventually place a call once the
phone information is available.

The advantage is leveraging existing client protocol support, and leaving
the hard work to the server.

Hope it helps

Jean-Louis

P.S. The above does not address sending commands to a PBX ;)