[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 18:03:03 UTC 2006

On 1/5/06, Simon Guindon <simon.guindon at tomahawk.ca> wrote:

> Jingle INFO message sounds good to me. This way the gateway can take
> this INFO message and whether it's a SIP, IAX or any other gateway it
> can do its specific DTMF method based on the INFO.

  Yes.  There is also another alternative, requiring the clients to be
smarter by sending the DTMF data with an RTP informational message, which
the endpoint handling the call must handle.  SIP can handle them either way,
depending on the capabilities of the client.

> I'm not sure if we want to entirely put the logic on the clients
> shoulders. I think this is a good idea for Jingle clients which will not
> be hooking up to PBX's who will be getting multiple Jingle calls. But in
> the case of someone hooking up to Asterisk, Asterisk has to be signaled
> to put someone on hold, or transfer etc between lines as far as I
> understand how Asterisk works and I may be wrong, but I believe Asterisk
> is doing all the switching.

  ...  Handle it the same way SIP puts someone on hold.  (re)INVITE them
with an address of 0.0.0.0 (called a null address, basically).

> Could a Jingle INFO message be sent to the gateway to signal the PBX of
> different call management features?
> I like the idea of clients being able to switch themselves etc but
> perhaps if the gateway supports a namespace indicating it has PBX
> support the client must also signal to the gateway its call changes?

  Since there are many discussions on mapping this with SIP, everything
you'd do with SIP is capable of being done over Jingle.
  A good source of information on 'How SIP does it' can be found at
http://www.egyed.com/faq/sip_faq.html

  Thomas Charron