[Standards-JIG] new <remember/> element for Data Forms

Pete Birkinshaw pete at binary-ape.org
Sat Jan 7 22:27:41 UTC 2006

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A real world implementation need prompted me to think that JEP-0004
> might be usefully extended with a new <remember/> element. This would
> facilitate the automatic inclusion of an *extra* checkbox at the bottom
> of a form dialog with a label like: 'Remember this Username and Password
> the next time I have to fill in this form'.

But couldn't that just be done with a boolean field anyway? Although I
can see that remembering values could be a very common feature, and
<remember> would definitely simplify that.

I've got a JEP-4 wishlist too. If JEP-4 was to be extended, I'd like a
<readonly/> tag for fields (equivalent to <required/>) to render the
field in a disabled state, and something equivalent to multiple submit
buttons in HTML.

I'd find it very useful to be able to define a series of fields that
submit the form when clicked, but also carry a distinct value. It would
make things like simple menus, wizards, filling in default values,
reseting forms and so on quite easy to implement.

I don't think the <readonly> tag would cause much in the way of
compatibility problems, as if it wasn't rendered by the client, any
change in the "readonly" data could simply be ignored by the form's
'server' side.

Pete Birkinshaw