[Standards-JIG] pubsub revisions: first pass

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 10 00:08:49 UTC 2006

I've completed a first pass at revisions to JEP-0060:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/tmp/jep-0060-1.8.html

This is a major revision, just about every line in the spec has been
touched, and the changelog is long:

******

Defined five access models: open, presence, roster, authorize, and
whitelist; renamed pubsub#subscription_model feature to
pubsub#access_model to mirror access attribute; added basic example to
introduction; more fully defined node creation flows; added more error
conditions (changed some feature-related conditions to <unsupported/>
plus feature attribute); specified that <delete/>, <entities/>, and
<purge/> are to be qualified by pubsub#owner namespace; clarified some
terminology; added pubsub#deliver subscription option; added meta-data
fields for pubsub#owners and pubsub#contact; specified that the <item/>
element must not have more than one child; specified conformance with
Resourceprep for nodes addressable as JIDs; added
pubsub#modify-affiliations feature; added pubsub#digest_frequency field
to subscribe_options FORM_TYPE; more clearly specified the requirements
level (MUST, SHOULD, MAY) for each service discovery feature; defined
pubsub#include_body subscription option and the pubsub#body_xslt node
configuration option to transform payload format into an XMPP message
body, and clarified rules for inclusion of message bodies; specified
that simultaneous subscriptions of type nodes and items are allowed to
collection nodes; harmonized error conditions for unsubscribe if entity
is not subscribed (unexpected-request rather than not-found); further
defined error conditions related to item publication; corrected and
updated the schemas. (psa)

******

I have not yet updated the section on collection nodes and there still
is much other harmonization to do so that the content is internally
consistent (I plan to do that later this week). Also I have not yet done
any proofreading, so please don't send me reports of typos at this
point. ;-) However, comments about the substantive changes are much
appreciated, especially about the Access Model stuff (required to make
Simplified Personal Publish-Subscribe possible). Feedback from those who
have implemented version 1.7 of JEP-0060 is especially welcome.

I expect it will take several weeks of discussion to iron out all the
details, so post away.

Jabber Software Foundation