[Standards-JIG] What does 'Draft' status mean?

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Wed Jan 11 00:40:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:42:20 +0100, Chris Mullins
<chris.mullins at coversant.net> wrote:

> I have a question about the motivation behind changing pubsub.
> In early to mid 2005, I suggested a number of changes to pubsub, some
> minor, some major. I was slapped down at the time with:
> [PGM - Wed, 23 Feb 2005]
>> These kinds of changes should be done BEFORE the draft status is
>> reached. Draft status tells implementors that stuff should not really
>> change that much. There are probably more implementations of pubsub
>> than you realize.

And you're not the only one to ever get told that..

 From JEP-0001 that describes the process of making a JEP:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0001.html#approval-std

"Elevation to Draft status is a major advancement for the JEP, indicating
a strong belief on the part of the Jabber Council and Jabber community
that the specification will be of lasting value. Since a Draft standard
must be well-understood and must be known to be reasonably stable, it is
relatively safe to use it as the basis for implementations and production
deployments. However, note that because a Draft standard may still require
additional field experience and may be subject to change based on such
experience, mission-critical or large-scale implementations of the Draft
standard may not be advisable."

So one could say that this can be open for interpretation, and the
interpretation you received at the time was particulary unlucky..

I guess we should keep in mind that PGM once meant JEP-0060 to be a simple
"basic" pubsub model, as the basis for other more advanced models ("This
Jabber Enhancement Proposal defines a single, cohesive, generic protocol
which all forms of pubsub can utilize.").
With the latest proposal I think it's safe to say that's no longer the
scope of this document, so there's something to be said for what Hal
brings up. But in the end I guess it doesn't matter that much now (escp.
if you have PSA working on it)