[Standards-JIG] Stream compression (JEP-138) and notification of failure or success (repost from JSF Members)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 11 17:23:44 UTC 2006

Sebastiaan Deckers wrote:
> I agree with Gato.
>
> One suggestion: change <compressed/> to <proceed/> so that developers
> understand this behaviour is like with TLS negotiation.

But they are not quite alike. In RFC 3920, <proceed/> means "start the
TLS negotiation" (per RFC 2246), and if that negotiation is successful
then you send a new stream. In JEP-0138, the server sends <compressed/>
as the last step in a successful negotiation (equivalent to the TLS
"Finished" notification). So the meaning is quite different and I think
changing the JEP-0138 element name to <proceed/> would be confusing.
Maybe changing it to <success/> would be better, but I wonder how much
we're really gaining by changing the element name.

 > Clarifying the wording of the JEP would help too.

See previous post.

Jabber Software Foundation