[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060's Draft status. Was: What does 'Draft' status mean?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 11 21:05:31 UTC 2006

Ralph Meijer wrote:

>> Now, the changes to pubsub look great. I'm not looking to debate the
>> changes. In fact, quite the opposite - I love that the JEP is being
>> updated.
>
> Me too, it could certainly use a face lift in readability, so an
> overhaul in that sense is more than welcome to me.

Most of what I changed had to do with readability, consistency, text
flow, rationalized error handling, a few tables to make the config
option stuff more explicit, better definition of terms, clearer use of
MUST/SHOULD/MAY, a more friendly introduction, splitting up the use
cases into sections for subscriber, publisher, and owner, using a
blogging example throughout instead of a tunes example (since I think
it's easier to understand pubsub using the idea of content syndication
rather than extended presence), and so on -- in other words, making this
large document friendlier and easier to grok. However, all that work
required changes to, as I said, just about every line in the XML source
file.

In addition to those readability changes, there are two major
substantive modifications:

1. The concept of an access model (which extends our earlier concept of
a subscription model to include get-items functionality) and the
associated addition of an 'access' attribute to the <create/> element
(with, I hope, smart XML defaults so that older implementations are
still in compliance).

2. The requirement to cache the most recently published item and send it
to new subscribers.

I'll reply to the meta-points in the other thread.

Jabber Software Foundation