[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Language Translation

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Thu Jan 19 10:39:05 UTC 2006

JEP Editor wrote:

>The JEP Editor has received a proposal for a new JEP.
>
>Title: Language Translation
>
>Abstract: This JEP defines a protocol for providing language translation facilities over XMPP. It supports human, machine, client-based, and server-based translations.

>The Jabber Council will decide within 7 days (or at its next meeting) whether to accept this proposal as an official JEP.

Scanning through that, am I able to seamlessly send a message to a
non-English speaker by way of the translator?

I have my larval JEP up at
http://www.semanticgap.com/jeps/translation.html . It basically uses
extended stanza addressing to create a routing slip so a message can go
from one translator to the next. It's been a long while since I touched
it, and one of the known issues is that my selection of address types
needs to be brought inline with some other JEPs like message forwarding.

We should meet at some kind of middle ground between this submitted JEP
and my unsubmitted JEP.

- Nolan