[Standards-JIG] Re: Extending SMTP with XMPP?

Matthew Wild mwild1+jig at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:01:01 UTC 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com>
Date: Jan 22, 2006 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Standards-JIG] Extending SMTP with XMPP?
To: Jabber protocol discussion list <standards-jig at jabber.org>

Easy... if the recipient has a Jabber account, the client can be configured
to use XMPP wherever/whenever possible. If it doesn't have a clue what XMPP
is, it can just ignore and use the old method.

Personally I quite like this idea...
The only way new ideas ever get great success when being deployed to a large
base of users who will always choose the old known method over the new
better one, is to make the new better one so invisible, that it requires
little or no configuration.

The only current problem facing is, do we make a Jabber client that supports
SMTP, an email client that supports XMPP, or a new hybrid that we try and
get everyone to use? :-) Only the success of individual implementations will
tell.