[Standards-JIG] Re: Extending SMTP with XMPP?

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 16:29:47 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Matthew Wild <mwild1+jig at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The only current problem facing is, do we make a Jabber client that
> supports SMTP, an email client that supports XMPP, or a new hybrid that we
> try and get everyone to use? :-) Only the success of individual
> implementations will tell.

I think we could take a two-pronged approach.

1) Work on improving the protocol and making a bullet proof reason to
upgrade, one that satisfies all of the discussion above.
2) Make a very simple Thunderbird extension that allows one to compose
and reply using an additional new method.  That of course would be a
jabber message.  Perhaps some Jabberzilla & pubsub.com code could be
useful here.  Don't worry about turning it into an email-clone on the
receiving end at first.  Don't try to change any major functionality
in Tbird.

Then hopefully by the time these two efforts get to a beta stage, we'd
have more solid base for figuring out the other end.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc
http://halr9000.com