[Standards-JIG] Re: Extending SMTP with XMPP?

Matthew Wild mwild1+jig at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 17:33:19 UTC 2006

Sounds nice :)

I don't think changing Thunderbird is a good way to head, but I had an
extension in mind. If a user clicked the 'Reply' button, it could check for
the header, which, if present, it would display a dialog asking the user
which method they would like to use to send the reply. This of course could
be configured to take default actions in certain scenarios. For example
"Always reply to this contact with XMPP" checkbox.

Another idea would be a little utility to register as the mail client in
Windows, so that SMTP programs could route what they think are emails,
through a Jabber client.