[Standards-JIG] Re: Extending SMTP with XMPP?

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Sun Jan 22 18:20:24 UTC 2006

Op zondag 22 januari 2006 14:01, schreef Matthew Wild:
> [...]

Steps:
1) Add some server-side stuff that is as much compatible with existing email
server software. In this way it will be 100% compatible with Microsoft
Outlook and they can not prevent the technology to emerge by not supporting
it, because they do not need to change anything. Also add a reason for ISPs
to add it (less spam, easy deployment, cost savings by no need to filter
spams,...).
2) Get this deployed by as much as possible servers.
3) Add protocols so that email/Jabber clients also can receive/send the emails
over XMPP.
4) Add protocols/features that makes receiving and/or sending emails via XMPP
more cool, than doing this over SMTP/POP3/IMAP.
5) Implement these features in as much as possisble clients to force other
vendors to support XMPP (or leave the market).

See my other post in this thread for an URL with details about this.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/