[Standards-JIG] imap 2 xmpp

bernhard bz at datenkueche.com
Sun Jan 22 20:24:27 UTC 2006

hi

>> But to put (non XML) html to jabber is not a good idea.
>>

> Is CDATA allowed in Jabber?  I have no idea, but you could just toss
> the whole html/mime mess in there I suppose.

I'm sure there is a way to put binary data to a stanza. But maybe CDATA
is not the best solution.
Think about messages that contain CDATA.
But what to do with the html/mime mess? I don't know much about MIME. I
think there are many
jabber client developer that are very familiar with XML but not with MIME.

>> To convert it on the server side is easy using the libxml html2xhtml converter (works very well)
>> or "tidy".
>>

> Yes but at what cost, cpu-wise?
Test converting http://www.jabber.org/ to xhtml
(test.xslt only contains a xsl:copy-of )

%time xsltproc --html test.xslt jabber.html > /dev/null
0.013u 0.006s 0:00.02 50.0%     48+792k 0+0io 0pf+0w

~20ms

(test done on a BSD Server, hardware is about 1 Year old)

Maybe this gives a first hint about the performance.
Normal HTML messages are smaller than the jabber.org start page.

>  Remember we have to scale to an SMTP
> replacement and that's huge.  Plus, you have modified the message.
> That would screw up any GPG signatures.

No idea. But there are some XML standards for encrytion, signature,....

Bernhard